Bryant Park Grill sues to stop Jean-Georges takeover

Bryant Park Grill. Photo via Wikimedia Commons
The owner of Bryant Park Grill is taking legal action to stop the 30-year-old restaurant from being replaced by a new Jean-Georges Vongerichten venture. Michael Weinstein’s Ark Restaurants Corp on Monday filed a lawsuit against Bryant Park Corporation (BPC), alleging the bidding process was neither publicly advertised nor transparent and was “unfairly steered” toward the Seaport Entertainment Group, the winning bid. The lawsuit also claims BPC ignored the grill’s “right of first lease” and rejected its bid of $1 million more in annual rent than offered by Seaport.
In January, park officials announced that the Bryant Park Grill—one of the nation’s top-grossing restaurants—would not have its lease renewed when it expires at the end of April. BPC Executive Director Dan Biederman described the restaurant as “tired” and said it was time for a fresh start with a new operator.
The 1,000-seat restaurant generates approximately $28 million in annual sales and pays $3 million in rent, contributing to funding the park, which does not receive public funds. About 250 employees are set to lose their jobs, with over 60 percent having worked there for more than a decade and one in four for over 25 years, according to
Ark also claims that BPC has overlooked Seaport’s “well-documented financial instability” and a business model that could lead to higher prices. The group points to Seaport and Vongerichten’s partnership on the Tin Building in the South Street Seaport, which has reportedly cost Seaport $100,000 a day since opening in 2022 and is losing its workforce, according to Grub Street.
The suit also alleges that while Seaport offered $1 million less in annual rent, they also received extended operating hours and $2 million for planned renovations. In a community board meeting in December, Biederman supported this claim, stating: “This city and others very often go for the highest rent offer, and we said, can we afford not to do that?” as reported by Grub Street.
“This is a public concession in a public park owned by the people of New York. Bryant Park is not private property to do as you wish. You have to follow the law,” Michael Weinstein, CEO of Ark Restaurants Corp, said.
Diane Giovannone, assistant general manager of the grill, added: “For three decades, Bryant Park Grill has been a family. Together we’ve been through 9/11, the financial crisis, and most recently the pandemic.”
“Our restaurant is thriving. Yet Dan Biederman wants to close for a year or longer, fire 250 employees, and then under the best case scenario accept over $1 million less in annual rent? It’s unconscionable. We are grateful that Michael is interceding on our behalf.”
The grill, which has been owned by the 81-year-old Weinstein since its establishment, is reportedly experiencing “succession issues,” according to Biederman.
If the grill closes, it will take roughly eight to 10 months for the new restaurant to complete renovations and open for business.
In 2023, BPC issued a request for proposals (RFP) for restaurateurs interested in taking over the space. According to Biederman, eleven restaurants were seriously considered. In October 2024, the grill began publicly protesting BPC’s decision by publishing “Help Save Bryant Park Grill!” on its homepage, urging readers to contact city officials in support of the restaurant.
In January, Weinstein urged community board members to “carefully scrutinize” the plan to replace the grill. The city’s Parks Department will ultimately need to approve Bryant Park Corporation’s plan to grant Jean-Georges the license to operate the business, as 6sqft previously reported.
RELATED: